CLEMSON, S.C. – The No. 7 Clemson Women’s Soccer team visits No. 20 Texas A&M on Saturday at Ellis Field. Saturday’s matchup against the Aggies is set for 8 p.m. The match is slated to stream on SECN+.
The Tigers and Aggies have only met twice in the history of both programs. Texas A&M took the first match in 1995, and Clemson won the most recent match in 2004 by a score of 4-1. The Tigers come into the weekend with two victories over Saint Francis and Loyola (MD) while the Aggies have dropped two tightly contested Top 10 matches against No. 1 Florida State and No. 8 TCU.
Sophomore midfielder Megan Bornkamp leads the team with seven points, with Makenna Morris and Hal Hershfelt with six and five points, respectively. Freshman forwards Renee Lyles and Sydney Minarik have had impressive starts in their young careers as they both have netted a goal in each match thus far.
Through Two Games…
• Clemson has outscored its opponents 12-0 in its first two matches (Saint Francis and Loyola) and has outshot them 58-4, with 25 shots on goal to the opponents’ two.
• The Tiger defense held the Loyola Greyhounds to zero shots in its 4-0 shutout victory on 8/22.
• Tied a program-high for goals (12) through the first two games of a season (last time: 2000)
• The Tigers started the year with an 8-0 victory over Saint Francis on 8/20. Six different players scored, including 2 each from Makenna Morris and Megan Bornkamp
• Sydney Minarik, Renee Lyles and Grace Wagner each notched their first career goals.
• Clemson’s 7 goals in the first half were the most in a half since scoring 9 against Alabama A&M in 2013
• Clemson’s eight team goals were the most since a 9-0 victory over Presbyterian College on September 18,
2016 and the seventh-most in program history.
What a Run
• Clemson knocked off #3 UCLA in the NCAA Round of 16 to advance to the NCAA Quarterfinal in the spring 2021 NCAA Tournament
• This was Clemson’s fifth run to the Elite Eight and first since 2006
Guess Who’s Back
• Clemson brings back 16 returners, including 2020-21 All-ACC performers, Makenna Morris, Hal Hershfelt, Courtney Jones and Megan Bornkamp.
• Megan Bornkamp was one of only two freshmen to be named a United Soccer Coaches Third Team All- American.
• Hensley Hancuff returns after an incredible first season in the orange and purple as she was named to the 2021 Preseason All-ACC Team.
Top of the Class
• The program has recorded a 3.0 or higher in 42 straight semesters, dating to the fall of 2000. This is the longest streak of any Clemson program.